Adsense

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

THE POWER OF IGNITING IMAGINATION

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up. - Pablo Picasso

Q. “The big question is, ‘Is creative thinking and being innate?’ In other words, are creative people born with the gift?” S.R. New Brunswick

A. As I've pointed out previously, studies indicate that we are all born with creative genius, yet in a very few years, for various reasons, most of us lose touch with it. Too many of us believe that we either do not have or cannot access the creative core within us. I call that core our Creative X-Spot®, the place within us where passion, imagination and creativity meet- and soar.

I believe in the power of imagination. Always fascinated by the how and why of creative process, from the seed of an idea through its development to its completion, I’ve studied and researched creativity. Interested in what makes them 'tick,' I’ve interviewed and written about creative people. [1] I collect their stories. Curious to know what drives them, I asked how they get their ideas; were they encouraged as youngsters to be imaginative; what - and who - were their influences?

In the pursuit of understanding the creative process, I set out to answer a number of questions: Why are some people so creative? From where does their motivation come? What is the source of inventors’ ideas? My curiosity went deeper: What are the motivating factors that allow anyone to reach their creative potential? Why do some people complete and follow through with their creations? Why don’t others? How are new ideas realized? Do creative people [2] need a support system in order to be creative?

Years ago, as a kindergarten teacher, I welcomed into my class enthusiastic, passionately creative, wide-eyed children. During their elementary schools years, I watched too many grow into self-restricted, self-conscious adolescents who subsequently matured into adults who seemed more concerned about conforming to the boundaries set by themselves, their peers and society, than about originality in their thinking and approach to life.

While researching creativity, I came across a report of a study about genius conducted at Exeter University where “researchers examined outstanding performances in the arts, mathematics and sports, to find out if ‘the widespread belief that to reach high levels of ability a person must possess an innate potential called talent.'” [3] The ultimate conclusion of this study was that innate “genius” is a myth. This does not mean we aren’t born with creative genius. It means that, based on its research, resulting data demonstrates that the factors to achieving excellence in any particular area were 1) opportunities, 2) encouragement, 3) training, 4) motivation, and, most significantly, 5) practise.

Anyone can have or display a significant aptitude or talent in their childhood, yet do nothing whatsoever to develop it in adulthood. Even
child prodigies such Einstein, Mozart, Picasso, Jane Austen, [4] Charlotte Bronte and Nijinsky were extraordinarily creative in their adult years because each of these five factors were indeed in place. [5]

The conclusions of this study, as well as personal observations, reinforce my belief that imagination and the creative forces within each of us can be re-discovered, developed and nurtured.

OUR GIFT BOX

The very first time I heard the expression “thinking out of the box,” I was bewildered. I just couldn’t understand the concept of a hypothetical claustrophobic box representing four imaginary corners of “conventional” thinking. Until that moment, I’d always thought that every single person had unique, limitless creative thinking abilities. I thought everyone else thought like I do: all over the place, with ideas spilling out, overflowing.

Life experience, however, has slightly changed my view about creativity. (I also learned each person is completely unique.) These days I prefer to think of our untapped creative potential as a wrapped gift parcel beautifully packaged and topped with a lovely, full, colorful bow. The package is filled with exciting goodies, waiting for us to discover.

However, there may be considerable restrictions preventing us from opening and exploring that box. In future columns, I intend to expose those blocks and offer possible ways to identify and overcome them so that we can access the delights within us. Truly, our creative potential is a package waiting to be opened so that we can explore the delightful gifts within us. We’re apt to release ideas, unbind our spontaneity, and rejuvenate our creative energy. We just need to be open to the flow of ideas and possibilities.

OUR BOX OPENS …

Unwrapping our gift package to access our creative core can lead to astonishing outcomes. If we would just let go of our self-imposed, artificial restrictions, a world – let me clarify – a universe of possibilities opens up. How to do it? Here are only some of the methods I'll explore along the way:

· Adopt a fresh look

· Take chances with new experiences
· Expand our thinking, and
· Change our patterns of behavior

Creativity is my passion. I have been creative all my life, in one way or another. There is no 'box' I must think out of, nor should there be one for you. Instead, consider that you have a beautiful gift package within you just waiting to be opened.

For it is inside this gift box that your creative core - or Creative X-Spot ® - percolates.

_________________
[1] This section incorporates and expands ideas and excerpts from my article “What Box?” first published in 2003. The original, complete essay is posted online.
[2] I’m not just referring to artists, musicians and inventors; I mean people who approach life with creative thinking.
[3]The Vancouver Sun, Sept.12/98
[4] For more about female prodigies, see the online article
Girl prodigies: Some evidence and some speculations
[5] I recommend Frank Conroy's Body & Soul (Viking, Penguin Books Ltd., 1993), a fascinating, informative novel about a child prodigy pianist.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just delightful. Encouraging and definitely empowering to read your newest article.

N.B.: What makes children (and adults?) shy away from “listening to their Intuition”? Interesting that the UNIVERSE book does not have a chapter on Intuition, but instead discusses at the beginning your “Constant”. Well, by whatever name…each person does
really have that inner sense that we call Intuition but perhaps learns or deliberately (for whatever reason) ignores it.

Nellie Jacobs said...

The immensely thought-provoking book Thelma refers to above is “The Universe, Our Guiding Light" by mediums Helen Anne Bolger & George E. Hayward. I was privileged (with their permission) to read the manuscript draft she edited. More information and purchase details are available online at http://www.enlightenedpress.ca.

Thelma - an author, food and culture consultant, and professional adult educator - evaluates and edits manuscripts (including my "Magical MousePainting"). She can be reached through her website at http://www.cultureconceptsbooks.ca

- Nellie

Anonymous said...

I think that there are different kinds of creativity - inside and outside the box. Yours overflows and it's wonderful that you are so interested in sharing your gifts.

My talent is in appreciating talent like yours and people with special abilities.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nellie,

You are taking creativity to a whole new level in people’s awareness, which is perfect. I believe your timing is also perfect for this.

Yesterday I finished writing my 2008 Letter, something which I do each year. The letter is dated December 31, 2008 and it recaps the year. After I read what I had wrote, it struck me that the entire letter had everything to do with creativity. I’m creating my reality. I’m creating my relationships, I’m creating my outcomes in every area of my life. Yes, it’s very much a me thing. It’s also being clear (clarity) with your time and what experiences a person wants. The more you want, the clearer you have to be and, the more you get to create. I bet if you were to talk to any leading entrepreneur, you would find a very creative mind. I also bet if you were to talk to any leading criminal, you would also find a creative mind.

To have people get, like the person in your blog, that yes, they are creative, is so liberating for that person.

Nellie Jacobs said...

Hi Kevin,

You've had significant 'aha' moments re creativity and its meaning. You'll enjoy reading the next posting which deals directly with the meaning of creativity, including those points you've expressed so well.

Thanks so much for your feedback. It confirms the value of this column.

Let's Hear from You!!

What do you think about this article? What is your creative story?

To send your questions, share your insights or personal experiences about any of these postings, either:

1.
Click here to contact me directly, or

2. Leave your comments on this page by clicking on the "Post a Comment" button at the bottom of any of the individual columns.

-Nellie